An email list that is built organically takes a fair bit of time to get bigger in volume. An organic or valid email database demands your undivided attention to send targeted emails to the recipients.
The first step for sending relevant emails is to segment an email list.
Sending generic emails to your subscribers will not work as email marketing continues to evolve. Every subscriber is unique and signs-up with an intent to receive particular emails from you.
This could be anything ranging from how-to tutorials, discounted offers, guides, blogs, videos, or the latest news within a niche.
Before we jump into how to segment an email list. It is important to understand what benefits email list segmentation will have on your email list and overall email campaigns.
Benefits of email list segmentation
- Your email subscribers will be happy and more engaged.
- Churn rate will be lower.
- Fewer to no spam complaints.
- Increased email open rates.
- Better insights into your email campaigns.
- More chances of conversions.
With lots of proven benefits segmentation of the email list cannot be ignored. Not only it improves overall email marketing metrics but it also keeps unwanted emails or un-interested subscribers away from your mailing list.
How to segment an email list?
- Remove inactive subscribers – Before you start full-fledged email list segmentation, you must remove all inactive email subscribers. Inactive email subscribers are those who have not engaged with your emails for more than 3 months.
Removing them will make your list segmentation pain free. As there is no point in doing all the leg-work and not hearing back from your email leads.
- Email preference centre – One of the most obvious ways to segment an email list is to provide an email preference centre. It simply allows the email subscribers to select what kind of emails they want to receive.
Email preference centre also reduces your work, as the subscribers will himself select from the different options. Below is an image of what an ideal email preference should look like.
An email preference must include the options for all types of emails that you can send to your email list. Also, do not forget to provide an email un-subscription option.
- Sales funnel – Awareness, interest, and conversion are the key stages in sales funnel. Identifying your email leads by different stages of sales funnel plays a critical role to increase your conversions. Based on different stages of the sales funnel you can draft highly relevant email copies that will keep your email leads glued with your campaigns.
Below are the examples for sending target emails by sales funnel.
- All the new subscribers by default will be in an awareness stage. You can educate them about products and services by guides and tutorials.
- Leads that are converted into the interest stage are still not ready to buy. You have to pursue them by showing in-depth benefits of particular products or services.
- Those who are in the conversion stage providing an initial discount will bring in the customer.
- Past buying behaviour – Analyzing the buying behaviour of your email leads enables you to up-sell and cross-sell your products and services. Typically there will be two types of conversion i.e. one those who buy only during the sales or discount offers and the one those who spend a buck on updates
- Big spenders (Best for up-selling) – The affluent buyers are important to increase your revenue. This is the leads that do not care much but sales offer but updates.
- Sales lovers – This is the leads that only buy during the special discount and are always looking for better prices. Also, this will be the major part of your email leads.
Mapping your leads based on their buying history will help you to divide your email list based on the purchase history.
- Content consumption format – Not all audience likes all the forms of content. Understand your audience as you may find that different content formats (Video, webinars, or blogs) appeal to a different set of audience. You can promote a variety of content to a different group of users.
Keep a track of what kind of content is loved by your audience this will boost the conversions and will earn you a loyal fan base that is ready for your content.
- Understanding the email marketing tool – With too many tools available in the market it is difficult to choose the right one. The email service providers make email segmentation easy by offering the right tools and deep insights into the data.
Make sure your email service providers are equipped with the must-have email marketing tools to help you in your journey.