Email marketing has absolutely skyrocketed in the past couple of years. As a strategy, it’s highly effective, with incredible reach, growth potential and measurable ROI. In 2018, more than 3.8 billion people across the globe are expected to use email on a regular basis, so this can only increase.
Not only is email marketing utilised by the retail, travel and hospitality sectors to target and retain customers, it’s increasingly being used business-to-business in almost all other industries, with 59% of B2B marketers calling email their most powerful channel. With so much at stake, it’s vital that the strategy is failsafe. That’s where email verification comes in.
So, how does it work?
Email verification ensures the validity of the addresses in your marketing list using dedicated software that runs through a variety of checks. Ultimately, you need to know that your message will be delivered.
Here’s a closer look at what the checks encompass in order to determine deliverability:
1. Email address formatting is analysed for errors and inconsistencies.
2. Duplicates, spam traps and honeypots are removed.
3. The addresses will then be tested for sense and authenticity – ie. any numbers or letters that appear to be nonsense will mark an email as useless.
4. Next, the system will check that each address is created on a permanent domain (such as Gmail or Hotmail), to prevent bounce.
5. Here’s where things get technical. The domains are searched for MX records, as the absence of them means the address can’t receive incoming mail.
6. The software will then reach out to the addresses’ SMTP server.
7. The last major verification step is to ensure that each email’s domain will accept incoming mail from all other addresses – ie. the software will check for privacy settings and filters.
For bulk email marketing, email verification is invaluable, cutting down on bounce rates, increasing conversion and potentially even bringing in new clients. It can also be used to personalise messages and relate to the user. Why wait? Validate your email list with Email Checker for guaranteed email marketing results.